Here are the tools and equipment that you will need for cold process soap making:
- Safety gear: It is important to wear protective gear when making soap, including gloves, goggles, and a mask to protect your skin, eyes, and respiratory system from the strong caustic properties of lye.
- Digital scale: You will need a digital scale to accurately measure your ingredients, including oils, lye, and water.
- Heat-safe containers: You will need heat-safe containers to mix your lye solution and oils. Stainless steel, tempered glass, or heat-resistant plastic are good options.
- Stick blender: A stick blender, also known as an immersion blender, is used to mix the oils and lye solution together to create the soap mixture.
- Soap molds: You will need soap molds to pour your soap mixture into and allow it to harden into bars. Silicone molds or plastic containers can work well.
- Thermometer: A thermometer is needed to monitor the temperature of your lye solution and oils, as well as the temperature of your soap mixture during the saponification process.
- Spatulas and mixing spoons: You will need spatulas and mixing spoons to stir and blend your ingredients.
- Towels and cloths: Towels and cloths are used to cover and insulate your soap while it is setting.
- Optional: Essential oils, colorants, and additives: You may choose to add essential oils, colorants, or other additives to your soap mixture to customize your soap.
By having these tools and equipment, you will have everything you need to make cold process soap at home.